Monday, September 22, 2008

Things I Hate To Admit... And So Glad I Grew Out Of!!!


With the season change here in Colorado it has drawn a lot of outside insects inside... Just to name a few black crickets, spiders, moths and flies!! Our neighbors have a ton of flies in their house, however, there house is always very clean. I told their daughter Payton not to worry because flies only live for 21 days!! I was informed that I knew a lot about flies... So if all of you must know, here is my secret.... When I was little (Kelli do not laugh.... Ok stop laughing) I used to think that flies were my friends. I called them (Fly Friends) and heaven forbid someone actually killed them... Terrible!!! I am happy to say that after 28 years of therapy flies are no longer my friends... Actually I grew out of that phase quite sometime ago. I think I was probably 7 or 8!! Now, anytime I see a fly in our home I lunge for the dish towel and start swatting!! I take no prisoners and have no mercy!! I just hope that fly season is over soon!! For all you fly lovers, I am sorry that I abandoned ship!!
Another habit I am glad I grew out of was bringing wounded animals home for my dad and mom to fix. We saw our fair share of birds, cats, dogs, etc... all thanks to me! I cannot count all the times my mom begged me to stop bringing these creatures in the house!! I just ignored her wishes and continued to be Mother Theresa of the animal and fly kingdom!!! I learned that cream of wheat fed to a bird through a syringe actually works... However, 10xs out of 10 the birds always died!! Recently I have found 2 dead birds in our backyard... GROSS, I know!! I now realize why my parents begged me to stop!! Cleaning up the dead birds was not a fun task... I felt so bad putting them in the plastic grocery bags and tossing them in the trash... Not even a proper burial! I am waiting patiently for the day when Hailey brings in her first wounded animal.... I will proably get more attached than she will!! So with all this said and my skeltons now out of the closet... What are some childhood habits you grew out of?!?!?! I will not laugh!!! As long as you promise not to use my fly story against me!

5 comments:

Kelli said...

You did not even begin to scratch the surface of your love/respect/devotion to your "Fly Friends!" I don't think you people understand (and NO I'm not using this against you Sister I just need to set the record straight!) I recall a distinct time in your "FF" history. We were camping. We had been punished by Grandpa of all people and sent to the tent. Kevin & I purposely sought out the flies to kill them because we were mean and thought it was funny that flies would throw you into hysterics. It baffled me yet at the same time intrigued me. I guess if I had to admit a childhood habit I've grown out of its picking on you. I'm sorry we were so mean, but at the same time on some level it was done out of love don't you think? We just wanted to help you understand how ridiculous it was to have flies as friends. NO one wants a friend that only lives for 21 days.

Leslie said...

Aw, I wouldn't be ashamed of your fly friends! I had an IMAGINARY friend Kimberly. Her name was magic button and I played with her all day long. I'm not ashamed because I was FOUR and FIVE but whatever... My siblings played along! When I went to kindergarten she faded away slowly but I didn't go to kindergarten until I was 6! haha. So I say you and I were imaginative and creative people. I think it also shows your compassion!

Another story, we also had kittens that had to be put to sleep and I cried for like a week straight. I used to feed stray cats too. It's just the life of the tender hearted! ;)

Kelli said...

P.S. Thank you for reminding me about Sabastian! I don't even want to go there! Yes, I admit its another Kelli & Kevin antagonizing Kimberly to know end.

JoAlice said...

Yes, Kelli has admitte it and she is right. When it came to your fly friends (which you also wanted to invite to your parties!!!!), they were pretty mean about it just to get a rise out of you. I have to say though Kimberly, you didn't mention the "Puppy Chow Chow" and the plaster on the window sills! Kelli....next time you are at your dad's see if Kimberly's baby teeth marks are still on the living room window sill. :o) I love you Kimberly!!!!!!

Kimberly Giardino said...

Ok so I guess my famlily is pulling ALL of my skeltons out of the closet.... Yes I used to eat plaster off my window sill... and yes I ate puppy chow chow!! I guess the dog food would explain my pedigree coat and dazziling pearly whites!! All of these phases I swear were grown out of by age 6 maybe 7 the latest!! I guess you would all need to know as well that I used to sneak chalk out of my classroom and put it in my mouth! UGH and ICKY!!!