Friday, March 6, 2009

Confessions Of A Dental Assistant.....!

Those of you who have never had a cavity I do not want to hear about it.... Just teasing! I wish I could sit here and tell all of you that I have perfect teeth, however, that is far from true! I have been a regular to the dentist since I can remember! (I wish they did frequent punch cards) My kindergarten teachers husband was my dentist when I was growing up! Never failed that I would need treatment done! I have experienced it all, extractions, fillings, root canals, crowns, etc.... I am sure you are all sitting there shocked!! I am sad to say that yes this is true! I am puzzled at all of this because I would consider my oral hygiene to be above normal!! I brush, floss, go to the dentist regularly and anything else I can do to help protect my teeth! However, I always end up on the other end! Wednesday was no exception, I had a dental appointment to finish up some treatment! For those of you who know me fairly well, know that I do not like to be on the receiving end of the dental work. I love assisting with it, so sitting in the assistant chair is where I prefer! Not so lucky! I had to get numb on my lower left side so that treatment could be done. (Obviously) So now here I am almost 3 days later and my tongue still has yet to come back to life! When I go to take a bite of something or try to drink I feel as though I have tingling sensations running through the side of my tongue.... Very strange indeed! I know that when a nerve is hit with the tip of the needle it can take days to weeks for feeling to come back!! With all the work I have had done this has never happened to me!! I also heard that a dentist that hits the nerve is like finding a needle in a haystack... I seem to always be the one who is that 1 in a million!! I guess I should not be shocked by this! I must say, this is one of the first times that I have been completely numb for the appointment!! The dentist I go to is actually a really good dentist and I will and have sent friends there!! This is just a little story to share with all, I guess not so motivating if you have dental phobias!!

1 comment:

JoAlice said...

I can't believe your tongue still feels that way! At least your cheek isn't bruised! Hope your tongue feels better soon! :o)