Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Why, Why, Why?!?!?

Days like today and yesterday I have to ask myself why I enjoy what I do at work!! I love working with the kiddos and hearing all about their random stories and I especially love all of the dinner invitations.... However, yesterday and today we have had some drama.... I mean trauma!!! Yesterday we had a little 6 year old girl referred to our office from a general dentist... She was riding her bike on Sunday (Her mom said she was showing off for her friends) and she ended up going head over handle bars smacking her chin on the cement.... Her parents took her to the ER where they put 4 stitches in her chin. She later was complaining of pain on her left cheek and it was discovered that she broke her little 2 year molar and the nerve/ pulp was exposed!!! It did not stop there!! Dr. Lisa was doing a jaw evaluation and discovered that the pt. had some discomfort in her jaw... After taking an x-ray and a trip to the oral surgeon it was concluded that she has a fractured condyle... aka The Jaw!! She was such a cutie and I felt so bad for her!! She is coming back in on Friday so that we can fix her little tooth.... A baby root canal!! Not as bad as it sounds!! We do them almost daily!! However, for the next 6 weeks she will be on a soft diet until her jaw heals!!!

Wednesday are typically our days off.... Well we do not see patients, however, we go in and do office work!! When I got in to work around 12:40 I was informed that an emergency was going to be coming in at 3:30!! This little tyke was barely a year old.... He was standing at the coffee table a couple of weeks ago and took a little spill... His parents did not notice anything immediate however, yesterday the tooth started to turn purple.... Today it was very purple!! They brought him in and upon evaluation it was concluded that the little guy needed to have his tooth extracted!! All of you who have kids know how cute those front little teeth are... The sad thing is this particular tooth was still coming in!! We could not do a root canal on his tooth because the root of the tooth had not closed together!! The look on the parents face was no sight that I have not seen before.... I felt so bad for them... Watching their little guy go through that!! Not fun! I have become quite desensitized to it, sad but true!! I would never get through these things if I did not block it out!! I am sure it would be different if it were my own child laying there!! About a month and a half ago I almost lost it when a little 3 year old came in and had smacked his two front teeth... I felt so bad for the mom and it is hard when there is nothing you can do to make them feel any better... The parents that is! By the time the little guy left today he was feeling much better... I am sure he was pretty tuckered by everything that happened!!

Do not get me wrong, I love what I do.....! I enjoy being able to help kids feel confident about their smiles!!! To bad most of you do not live in Colorado, I would love to see your little ones!!! Just remember, if anything happens to your little one.... You are not alone.... Especially if you have boys!!!

1 comment:

JoAlice said...

That is so sad about both little kids. I read your blog to Matilyn and Ethan and they both felt bad. Hopefully all those good days out-weigh the tragic ones.